- Defining Maritime English in the context of ESP (English for Specialist Purposes).
- Training in complying with English standards required in IMO™ Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers ( STCW™95) regarding the need for Watchkeepers at sea to communicate effectively in English.
- Demonstration of some teaching techniques that will encourage interactive classroom activities.
- Raising awareness of the need to include specific maritime educational material in an English communication syllabus, for example: IMO* Conventions: e.g SOLAS (Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea 1974), MARPOL (Convention on the Prevention of Pollution from ships 1973/1978), STCW™95.
- Broadening perspective regarding the needs of seafarers to communicate-in English- with other ships, Port State Control Inspectors, Pilots, Vessel Traffic Services, Tugs, Emergency and Salvage personnel, etc.
- Introducing, and providing practice in teaching IMO™ Standard Marine Communication Phrases™: (SMCP: November 2001).
- Raising awareness regarding communicative, trainee centered teaching methodology, as relevant to teaching maritime topics in English.
- Providing new information and teaching resources, including authentic materials to extend learning strategies: for example: documentary and industrial video, international shipping industry journals and IMO publications